Tuesday 23 July 2013

The Italian Job

Tuesday 11th to Saturday 15th June


Left Busseto at about 10am and already the temperature was nudging 22 degrees!

Busseto

Despite the iconic Italian countryside of rolling hills with rustic villas perched on top with the obligatory cypress grove, the view became boring almost and even vaguely artificial and I found myself wishing for some variety in the landscape.

Roads were a mix of Autovia and roads similar to British A roads but, again, progress seemed slow - I had definitely been spoiled by my German and Austrian experience. Eventually things got moving as I progressed towards Firenze (Florence for my English reader) using a toll road for the first time and a bit of a shock at the charge: 15 Euro for only about 175km!!

Fuel stop with Monte Cassino in the background!


Next stop for coffee & croissant was 20km south of Siena. Shame about the pole in the middle!!
Bought a another pair of sunnies at the petrol station - proper jobs this time - Route 66 was the brand so they gotta be right!
The previous pair were so painful that I had to remove them after a few minutes.


I got a bit lost trying to find Florence and ended roaming the hills above the city, at one stage following a local biker a bit to enthusiastically. I rounded a very tight downhill bend with too much lean and managed to scrape the sidestand rather violently which immediately threw the whole plot bolt upright and very nearly had me off. I calmed down after this little moment!

 I eventually hit Firenze and immediately ran into a little bit of bother with the local police. I was following a little dust-cart vehicle and didn't notice a pedestrian only sign and was stopped by two police - one was a man the other a woman. She went ballistic .... screamed at me to get off my bike - did I know where I was? I played the dumb Irishman - saying I didn't see the sign (in fact that was the truth). Apparently I was on some famous Florentine street! Well I had no idea where I was. The other copper wasn't in the least bit bothered but the female really let rip at me... 
I couldn't find anywhere to park and the streets seemed to be packed with Americans, so after half an hour of riding around trying to park I gave up and left the place ... I won't be going back in a hurry!

Photo taken of Florence when I illegally parked in a scooter parking place.

Left Firenze as quickly as possible, probably breaking a few more laws no doubt and wandered into the lovely little town of Castiglione on the shores of Lake Trasimeno. With the aid of the maps app on my phone I found a delightful Bed & Breakfast. Residence Castiglione is a huge 2-storey house with gardens and a large swimming pool and I was given a mini-apartment all to myself!





The B&B was situated just off the road in the photo above and  I walked up to the ancient village at the top and found a very well preserved but touristy centre with prices to match!

Unfortunately, once again, the [loud] sound of American voices pervaded the medieval atmosphere.

When I left the following morning, the lady owner came out to wave me off and I foolishly left my rucksack on the ground behind ... with her running and shouting after me! We did laugh and she asked me why I was rushing off and I replied that I had to see Pompeii, etc., to which she responded that I should remain in Castiglione - I wish I had....

After a good 6hr ride through the mountains, I arrived at Avezzano, quite a large town, but few hotels and choose one which although lacked any architectural merit turned out to be just right. Hotel Lory provided a good meal - I was alone in the restaurant and had the full attention of the rather nice waitress and after a couple of Italian birra went off to bed.

Part 2 of the Italian Job to follow .... where it all went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment