Wednesday 31 July 2013

The adventure begins!

DATELINE: Tuesday 28th May 2013 
Wightlink ferry to Portsmouth - missing my planned departure - those who know me won't be very surprised!
Had a little task to carry out in Pompey prior to embarkng on the trip proper to Dover: Peg's tax disc was due to expire on 30 June so had to visit the DVLA office due to the fact that there are no Post Offices on the Isle of Wight capable of issuing a tax disc more than a month in advance ... eeesh  ....
So after a couple of hours messing about trying to find the place the mission was accomplished - kudos to Portsmouth DVLA - extremely efficient, pleasant and helpful.

My B&B in Dover was excellent and comes highly recommended (especially if you are on an early ferry). Which is more that can be said for the check-in arrangements at the port... a huge queue of lorries completely obscured the view of the check-in kiosks and no port staff around to ask for directions, etc., ...  but fortunately a kindly British trucker pointed out where I had to go....

Slight trauma unfolded trying to find the way to the passenger area on the very nicely appointed DFDS ferry to Dunkerque. Another couple and I found ourselves trapped in a stairwell with all the deck doors closed for nearly 15 minutes - even the lift would not let us out at the right deck level. Eventually we found the deck door would open.... 2 hours sitting on a metal stairway was not an enticing prospect!!

A pleasant crossing and no problem finding my way out of the port. However, for reasons I can't work out the satnav sent me onto the A16 motorway despite the fact I had programmed it to use country roads only. I wasn't too bothered as it was dry and continued for quite a while on this road until the rain started and never stopped until I got to my first overnight stop at Neuendorf in the Eifel region of south western Germany. I stayed at the wonderfully-named Vetus Tempus biker's B&B - highly recommended.

All the rooms are named after race courses and mine was the Assen TT ...



My hosts, Rob and Mia, couldn't have been kinder or more hospitable... and from the very short time I spent riding in this area I am sure that I will be back to explore it properly and spend some quality time at Vetus Tempus.

The next morning, this view as I glanced out of my bedroom window made me grin....


After a very hearty breakfast, it was time to head off on the next leg and the weather was fine ... but only for a short while.

Rob kindly took some photos of me prior to my departure ....
look, I know its only got one cylinder .... sure, isn't that enough for anyone?














notice the rain-laden clouds in the pic below


No comments:

Post a Comment